Sunday 29 May 2011

Post 6, Sunday 29 May, at Wytheville, Va

One or two readers in kind emails to me have remarked on my blogging silence since 26 May. Apologies; I had intended to post something last night but ran out of time.

Three more days riding now complete. My rest day on Thursday was a low point so far; I felt very tired all day and was really worried that I wouldn't be able to get my energy back. But Friday and yesterday turned out superbly, both for morale and also for some great riding country. Thursday evening in Lexington I had dinner with Mike and Joan, a lovely retired couple from Cincinnati, Ohio, who are doing the TransAm like me. Joan I had met on day 2, but not Mike. Basically she has been riding part days, taking their car (plus her bike) ahead of Mike and then cycling back to join him (and then repeating the process). She has a hip injury, and is trying to rehabilitate it by riding shorter days and distances. Anyway, over dinner Mike invited me to ride with him, which I did. He is a great guide, pointing out all sorts of things that as a foreigner I would miss! He taught me (though he may not realise it) that the journey itself is the point of the trip, not each day's destination. So we stopped a lot - to photograph some water droplets on leaves, to pick up little turtles crossing the road (in great danger), etc etc.
The rescue- truck approaching!

It was great fun riding with him (and with Joan from time to time), and I was sad to say goodbye yesterday afternoon when they went off to stay a couple of nights with Joan's sister. So I have got a day ahead - but we may coincide again, all being well. Mike and Joan, a thousand thanks for your company and your friendship....

It's true as Mike said that "it's about the journey". He told me as we were riding yesterday that we could have gone by car from Troutville to Christiansburg by car on the Interstate ( = motorway) in about 15 minutes! We joked that with the time saved we could have watched a few DVDs and gone shopping!

.... And missed the joy of being part of the world we are cycling through: the sweet smell of rampant honeysuckle everywhere (they regard it as a weed in gardens here, because it takes over; they can't understand why in Britain we would go to a garden centre and buy one!); big butterflies which seem curious and come to investigate; bird song in the forests (I heard a woodpecker hammering at a tree incredibly loudly the other day); and the sheer vibrancy of the countryside.

The encounters we have with people as we pass are often heart-warming. In a beautiful secluded river valley east of Troutville we met Bill. He talked with us for some time; I asked him how long he had lived there. "Well," he said, "I'm 71 and I had two years in the Army, so I guess 69 years...". He must know every tree and blade of grass. We met Stuart, from Scotland, TransAmming alone with his tent in less than 2 months, covering 90 to 100 miles a day; I guess you can take on adventures like that when you are 26. And, to put my own little trip in perspective, we met a guy a fair bit older than me who not long ago spent 8 months cycling round the perimeter of continental USA.... Wow (but I have assured Janet I am not tempted!)

Daughter Sara has asked me what amusing place-names I have been through. First prize goes to Bumpass (particularly since I am Bumpa to my grandchildren). But today I went through Max Meadows. Now, that should have been the name of a 1950s dance band leader....

I know I thank, each post I write, those who send me emails of support. This morning, having a break for a snack, I saw I had an email from someone called Armstrong. For a split second I thought it was from Lance A, wishing me well. But no; even better it was from our good friends Sue and Piers A!

Apologies for mistypings; I am doing this on my blackberry, and the thumbs are wearing out.

Three more days in Virgnia, then, God willing, I cross into Kentucky; that will be a milestone to celebrate.

Thanks all, for your interest and support. Love and best wishes, Ken

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ken,
    Great description of world we've been riding through and the people we've met! It has been an absolute pleasure for Joan and me to have met you and ridden with you over the past few days. Thanks for being so kind at the times when I was lagging behind!

    Keep up the great work, and we'll stay in touch regardless of whether or not we cross paths on this trip again.
    --Mike (& Joan)

    ReplyDelete