Saturday 13 August 2011

Post 29: Saturday 13 August, from Sue Frank's home in Mill Creek, WA

It wasn't meant to be like this. It was going to be a joyous, relaxed ride for 70 or 75 miles to Anacortes on the coast, a great reunion with Janet and Sue Frank, and the sense of pride and 'job done'.

Instead I am sitting outside the Inn where I stayed in Marblemount, waiting to be collected by Sue and Janet acting as ambulance-cum-sagwagon driver and assistant.

Waiting to be picked up by Sue and Janet
Yesterday afternoon I developed a really sore butt. Forgive the embarrassingly personal details, but either a saddle-sore or - more likely - a horse-fly bite went bad, erupted, and has been weeping ever since, sticking to my shorts. When I had a shower after arriving yesterday evening, I fainted with pain; I did so a second time after a loo trip in the night.

So when I woke this morning I had to decide whether, in a weakened state, to risk the continuing pain from sitting on the saddle for 6 hours or so, and/or also possibly blacking out. Put like that, the decision was straightforward so I sent Janet an SOS .....

I may still, after my sore is hopefully mended, get myself back here to complete the ride to Anacortes. We'll see. That might ease the sense of anti-climax I feel now.... I don't know yet.

So that's the situation. Of course I am very disappointed. But, as the Inn owner has just said to me, life is full of unexpected twists and turns.

Moreover, this small problem makes me realise how incredibly blessed I have been to have had no physical problems at all till now, let alone a crash or serious mechanical breakdown. The angels have indeed been watching over me. (I haven't mentioned it in this Blog before, but very early in the trip, when I was riding with my buddy 'TransAm Mike', we heard from a passing cyclist that a member of the supported Adventure Cycling group had been killed close to Charlottesville, VA; he had hit some gravel while descending, and lost control. That puts things in perspective.)

Yesterday though, discomfort apart, was the most spectacular day of the trip, bar none. The best was, by coincidence, saved till the end.

The peaks are breathtaking...
Leaving Mazama on yet another perfect morning
It began, on yet another sun-filled cloudless morning, with a 3500 foot climb to the top of the Washington Pass, on the N Cascades Highway.

Approaching the top of Washington Pass
As I ascended, the surroundings became grander and grander, as I got closer to the steep rugged snow-streaked peaks through which the road snaked upwards. Because the Pass was so narrow, I felt very much part of its majesty and splendour. The outlook at the top of the Pass was indeed spectacular.

The view from the top
There was a great moment of humour near the top too. A group of Harley Davidson riders had stopped to take photos of each other and of the views. As I arrived, having ground my way uo to them, I offered to take photos of them all on their cameras. This of course led into conversation. One guy asked me where I had started my trip. "Yorktown, Virginia", I responded. Quick as a flash another said, "What happened? Take a wrong turning?". Brilliant!

So now down to the Pacific!
Marblemount's altitude is below 500 feet. So I had a wonderful long descent, for about 15 miles, though some psychologically wearing ups came later as well (just as I was starting to hurt).

And beautiful coming down the western side
But the scenery remained magnificent, with wonderful views of valleys and steep mountains round each corner. This western side of the N Cascades gets a lot more rain than the valleys I have been through further east, and the vegetation is greener and more abundant.

A waterfall right beside the road
I also passed another system of dams and lakes, on the Skagit River; they help to supply Seattle's electricity needs. Diablo Lake is the most amazing turquoise colour.

Ross Lake, an amazing colour
Later. I wrote the above before Janet and Sue came to collect me. We had lunch in Marblemount, then loaded bike and panniers into Sue's capacious SUV, and she drove us the two hours to Mill Creek.

Medical update. Nurse Janet examined my injury; it isn't an infected bite, but an abraded area. The reason it hurt (and still does) is that it is about the size of the palm of a hand. Knowing that, I am certain I couldn't possibly have ridden through today.

It has been a restful afternoon, followed by champagne and a delicious dinner (home-cooked, the first home food I have had for nearly 3 months. Bliss!)

I shall certainly do one more Post, and if I do decide to ride the missing final miles, I'll do two.

But I'll sign off for now, at the end of a strange and unexpected day.

Best wishes until I write again in two or three days' time.
Ken


3 comments:

  1. I can imagine how frustrating that was Ken, but it in no way diminishes the incredible accomplishment of cycling across America - you should feel immensely proud of what you have done. It has been such a pleasure following your journey - I will miss your daily reports greatly!
    Much love and I hope the saddle sore heals quickly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear! I second Natalie's sentiments wholeheartedly. You are just amazing Ken.

    Will we get a photo of your butt in due course? I'll make another donation if we do.

    Lots of love and a million congratulations xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic achievement, Ken! I'm sure you're feeling a little frustrated but you kept going all this while, saw some wonderful countryside and met some fantastic people - and this must have made it all worthwhile! Relax and enjoy the champagne with Janet and your friends; you definitely deserve it! Congratulations and love

    ReplyDelete