Wednesday 17 August 2011

Post 31: Wednesday 17 August. Completed! - reached Anacortes, Washington

Hi all

Well, I made it, and have cycled across America....

Low tide.... (the Pacific)
Thank you to Julia, Sara, Beth and Simon (our four children) for giving me lots of encouragement to pick up again where I left off, at Marblemount, last Saturday, were it physically possible to do so. And thanks to Sue Frank for driving me (and Janet) back there yesterday and being near with her car in case things didn't work out.....

In fact they have worked out fine. And to add icing to the cake, Sue says these past two days have seen the best weather of the summer - clear cloudless skies, moderate temperatures, and long long views. Perfect!

Resuming the ride at Marblemount
Yesterday she drove us, plus bike and panniers (I declined her offer to carry them in the car), on the two hour trip back to Marblemount. I was nervous before starting, but coffee and ibuprofen both helped. And to be honest, my legs gave me more trouble at first than my butt.... They had got used to not cycling, and were very grumbly for the first five miles!


The roads were delightful, through sun-dappled woodlands along the Skagit River. Little traffic, and basically gently down hill.

Dappled woodlands

The River Skagit, near Sedro-Woolley
The 50 miles to Sedro-Woolley passed pleasantly, and that's where the three of us stayed for the night. (It was also an added bonus that Janet could follow me during two days of riding, to experience a little bit of the routines I have followed for the last three months.)

Distant snow in the N Cascades
First signpost to Anacortes
 This morning there were just 30 or so miles left, to Anacortes. Again the roads were quiet country byways for the most part, going through prosperous little farms as I got closer to the coast. (I never knew till today that potato plants have blue flowers.)

Potatoes in bloom!
The N Cascade mountains looked wonderful behind me, especially Mount Baker, which stands nearly 11,000 feet high and whose peak is properly snow-capped, even in high summer.

Mt Baker in the distance
Then I arrived at the coast. What for me was very evocative was the smell of the sea. Wonderful! The views of the San Juan Islands were splendid too.

What a location to end the ride!

We've reached the other ocean!
Nevertheless, as the last few miles ticked by, I felt increasingly sad, because this wonderful adventure was coming to a close. I expected this. But that sadness was mixed with deep joy and gratitude that I have been able to enjoy such wonderful experiences and fulfil such a dream.

Fixing the flag
Properly in Anacortes - in fact just outside Safeway! -, we fixed a Union Jack to the bike (kindly sent by Julia and Ben) for the last few miles. I probably should have been singing "Rule Britannia" loudly too....

Flying the flag
(I should add that I am considering claiming for The Queen all the territory I have travelled through in the last three months. The natives have been very friendly, as you will have read in my despatches........)

Dipping the front wheel in the Pacific
We had chosen, as our end-point, the delightful Washington Park. We went through the wheel-dipping ceremony there, took the necessary photos, and then it was time to head back to Sue's home.

Reporting in to Mission Control
So now it's over. My mind is full of masses of memories, impressions, and emotions. I will let them settle and sort themselves out for a day or two, and then write just once more to bring things together.

Thank you, all of you, for your support. Thank you, too, to all the very many people who have contributed generously to The Stroke Association. http://www.justgiving.com/Ken-Temple And may I be permitted to add that if anyone has decided to wait till I finished before donating (or even has simply forgotten!), then now is an ideal time to turn intention into action. Thank you!

With very best wishes,

Ken

1 comment:

  1. A stunning achievement of which you should be proud (and your grandchildren boast about) for ever and a day.
    Much love xx

    ReplyDelete